[nabs-l] Questions About Getting New Laptop

Kirt Manwaring kirt.crazydude at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 21:29:24 UTC 2011

I know Serotek has an OCR for the mac...I think it's called Docuscan
or something.  Not sure how well it compares to Kerzweil or open-book,
though.
  Best,
kirt

On 6/20/11, Jorge Paez <computertechjorgepaez at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes.
> Open Book is only for Windows.
> And no, there is no software for Mac.
> And don't even try to run Windows on your Mac via bootcamp, I know from
> experience that slows your computer to at least a forth of its usual speed.
>

> On Jun 20, 2011, at 3:19 PM, Katie Wang wrote:
>
>> Hi, all,
>>  I have been following this thread as I'm also planning to purchase a
>> new laptop within the next year or so (my current one still runs
>> Windows XP). One question for those of you who use and like Macs: Is
>> there some sort of OCR sofftware that works with Macs? I regularly use
>> Open Book to scan documents or convert pdf files into a more
>> accessible format, but from what I understand it only works on Windows
>> machines. Is that correct? Thanks!
>>   Katie
>>

>> On 6/20/11, Chris Nusbaum <dotkid.nusbaum at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Florida? Are you going to convention while you're there?
>>>
>>> Chris
>>>
>>> "A loss of sight, never a loss of vision!" (Camp Abilities motto)
>>> To learn more about Camp Abilities and find a local camp near
>>> you, just click on this link to their national Web site:
>>> www.campabilities.org.
>>>
>>> The I C.A.N.  Foundation helps visually impaired youth in
>>> Maryland have the ability to confidently say "I can!" How? Click
>>> on this link to learn more and to contribute:
>>> www.icanfoundation.info.
>>>
>>> Sent from my BrailleNote

>>> Mac (either via BootCamp or virtual machine) is the keyboard.
> [...]
>>> some
>>> questions.
>>>
>>> First, from an accessibility/screenreader standpoint what is
>>> better
>>> windows or Mac? Was the switch to mac from windows hard? Was
>>> voiceover
>>> easy to get used to? Do you like your mac better than windows?
>>> I've
>>> been told macs don't get viruses or have spyware and they seem a
>>> lot
>>> more durable.  I have a friend who says he has had one for three
>>> years
>>> (he isn't blind) and he says other than spending some money on a
>>> bigger hard drive and paying $25 for one of the new OS updates (I
>>> believe it was snow lepoard) he said it works just as fast and
>>> everything as it did the day he got it.  It seems with windows
>>> the life
>>> is only around four or five years old.  Sighted people are
>>> telling me
>>> to go with mac but I know the world is still largely dominated by
>>> windows.
>>>
>>> For windows users who have purchased laptops recently what things
>>> did
>>> you look for in the laptop? What brands are people using with the
>>> windows screenreaders? I found a Tasheba satellite on Amazon.com
>>> for
>>> $479...it is usually $780 but has been on sale for $479.  It has
>>> an I3
>>> processor, 4 gigs of ram, 640 gig hard drive, and a 15 inch
>>> screen not
>>> that that matters to me.  Supposedly the battery lasts for five
>>> hours.
>>> I was going to just go with this one but i noticed it is rated 3
>>> starrs on the customer reviews and I wonder why it has dropped so
>>> much
>>> in price on Amazon.  is anyone else using a tasheba and are they
>>> good?
>>> What things did you look for in you're laptop before purchasing
>>> it?
>>>
>>> The laptop I will likely get has Windows 7 and is 64 BIT.  Is
>>> there any
>>> big bugs I should know about with 64 BIT, Windows 7, and Jaws? Do
>>> you
>>> like windows 7 overall? Is it better than windows vista? My old
>>> hp
>>> laptop had windows vista on it and my netbook (which I am typing
>>> this
>>> on) has windows XP.
>>>
>>> Even if Rehab or some other source purchased your laptop, I am
>>> noticing most of the new ones have similar specks:Windows 7, a
>>> 500 gig
>>> or bigger hard drive, I 3 and up processor, 4 gigs of ram.  How
>>> fast
>>> are these? My laptop is so old I'm kind of excited and curious to
>>> hear
>>> about how fast the latest laptops with these new and improved

>>> nabs-l:
>>> http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nabs-l_nfbnet.org/carter.tj

>>> http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nabs-l_nfbnet.org/dotkid.nu