[nabs-l] Developing an Organization Designed to Take on the Future

Isaiah Wilcox iwilcox2011 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 02:14:13 UTC 2011

Greetings Members of NABS,

As you all know, I am running for the presidency of NABS.  I would like to present some of my accomplishments within NABS and the NFB, and then I would like to lay out my vision for the future of this fine organization.

Two years ago I was honored when you all graciously elected me to the NABS Board.  I promised all of you then that I would do my utmost to serve you in the highest capacity, and I have kept that promise.  During my tour as a board member, I have served on the fundraising committee, and in 2010 the fundraising committee and I successfully worked to implement a fundraiser that would bring in thousands of dollars of crucial funding for NABS.  This year’s fundraisers are projected to successfully bring in even more funding than prior years.  As a NABS board member I have also served in key positions on the board at national and state conventions and seminars where I acted in versatile roles that included educating attendees and partners about NABS and its initiatives, networking with NABS members from all over the US, general event planning and execution, and volunteer and participant assistance in general.

Over the past two years I feel that my experience on the state and local levels have prepared me to step out onto the national stage as the President of NABS.

The majority of my leadership experience has been in Georgia where I formerly and currently serve in a number of capacities: former president of the Georgia Association of Blind Students (GABS); IT Administrator for the NFB of Georgia, Atlanta Metro Chapter Board Member; and, since 2010, treasurer of the state affiliate. In each of these roles, I have helped grow the success and impact of each entity.

As president of GABS, I worked in concert with an excellent group of board members to accomplish some truly important achievements.  Within my first year as GABS president, the board and I grew membership from ten to fifty students; organized and executed the first GABS student convention; created and maintained the Connecting the Dotz quarterly newsletter; and Georgia was the first state to host a regional "U Improving U" seminar for the southeastern region.

I am currently a board member for the Atlanta Metro Chapter where I actively educate community members about the work and mission of the NFB; I participate in outreach programming; and I work to create partnerships between the NFBGA and other organizations and groups.  My second role within the NFBGA is as the IT Administrator.  In this role I maintain the website, ensure continuity of information, and develop new and innovative ways to use technology to aid in the completion of our goals. In 2010 during a pivotal leadership change where Anil Lewis stepped down and Garrick Scott was elected, I was honored with a third role within the affiliate when I was elected Treasurer. I am happy to say that we successfully and smoothly completed the transition, and we continue to grow as a whole at an astounding pace as we add more members, initiatives, and goals.

These successful leadership and team roles have been incredible learning and flourishing experiences for me, and they have groomed me to be a leader within the NFB. Since my initial involvement with the NFB in 2007, I have grown tremendously.  NFB has taught me that it is possible to do anything and everything despite being blind.  Networking with my fellow organization and board members on state and national scales has enabled me to hear and see the individual micro and larger macro needs and interests of the NFB, its members, and its affiliated groups, and as NABS President I will continue to listen and respond.  My leadership roles have also taught me an invaluable lesson: leadership is a two-way street.  You share what you know as you learn from those who you are teaching; for every one thing that you teach, your in turn to learn ten more.  I have unquestionably grown personally, professionally, and spiritually, and I will continue to do so alongside the organization and its members.

The future of NABS is bright.  It has made tremendous strides over the past two years to change minds, do active work in the wider community, and to encourage all to not be afraid of what others may think or believe to be true. In line with these initiatives, as NABS President I will continue to encourage the further education of NABS members as I put a strong focus on intrapersonal growth, stronger members and a stronger organization, and preparing for the workplace.  Specifically, as president I will to address the following key areas:
1.     Development of State Student Divisions for Sustainability,
2.     Increased familiarity with and use of social media, teleconferences, and web for student outreach,
3.     Increased amount and effective use of fundraising, and
4.     Increased networking opportunities for student members.

Development of State Student Division for Sustainability
One major issue within the organization is that we have a high turnover ratio among leadership roles.  With the board's assistance I wish to develop a plan to build student divisions and helps them sustain their continued growth. The key components of this plan are to foster student leadership, heavily recruit nationwide, and develop a fundamentals kit to create and maintain a state student division.

Use social media, teleconferences, and the web for student outreach
Social media and the web have become one of the primary means for reaching out to millions of people.  This inexpensive means of communication is a great opportunity for NABS to do numerous important tasks: notify members of meetings; become a stronger and more unified division; retain old members while recruiting new ones; keep track of contact information; target specific students by region, state, education, and age through e-mail marketing tools; and, most importantly, networking.

Fundraising
As a nonprofit organization we must constantly and actively work to raise funds to support our programs and seminars and to build and strengthen the organization.  As President, I will consistently work to raise funds while putting into place cost-saving measures to ensure that we as an organization are intelligently using our existing and future funds with a minimum of waste and over-spending.

Networking
Networking is an extremely powerful and essential tool for members.  I will work with the board to help connect students with the valuable resources, divisions and committees of the NFB, and each other.  Through these networks students will become stronger as individuals while bringing them into other aspects of the organization.

In closing, on July 4th there are many people who will vote for me for NABS President because they have a firm belief in my abilities as a leader, as an innovator, and as someone committed to growing and building an organization designed to take on the future.  But I know that there are also those who still have questions and who question my ability to take on this pivotal leadership role, and that is okay.  I appreciate these members who are as yet uncertain, as they challenge me to become a better me, personally and professionally. If you are one of these members who still have doubts, I encourage you to go through previous communications and posts, review the facts, and make your choice for NABS President based on who you conscientiously and morally believe to be the right choice for President.

I encourage you to ask questions, to look deeper, and to really think about what you believe is best for NABS as a whole.  I firmly believe that I am the right choice for NABS President, and I encourage you to contact me through email at iwilcox2011 at gmail.com or through a Facebook message: facebook.com/isaiahwilcox

Thank you for your time and your interest. I look forward to serving you as the potential future NABS President.
Isaiah G. Wilcox