[nabs-l] Accessible Currency

Arielle Silverman nabs.president at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 04:13:30 UTC 2011

Hi all,
I have only been cheated with money once in my life, and that was by a
blind person, who got possession of my wallet and replaced a $20 bill
with a $1. In theory it can happen, but in practice being cheated in
business transactions is quite rare.
For the most part I feel that the cost of making money identifiable by
the blind outweighs the benefit. The only argument I would make for
accessible currency is that it might allow more blind people to obtain
employment as cashiers, bank tellers, etc. I am curious to know if any
blind people currently work in these kinds of vocations and, if so,
how they handle the need to identify bills. While I imagine that in
banks or cash registers bills are pre-sorted, I would think that many
employers would be unwilling to hire someone who is unable to verify
that they are being given the right bills.
Thoughts?
Arielle

--
Arielle Silverman
President, National Association of Blind Students
nabs.president at gmail.com
Website:
www.nabslink.org