[nabs-l] Accessible Currency

Greg Aikens gpaikens at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 04:41:00 UTC 2011

Really? No blind people anywhere? Think about all the blind vendors who work under Randolph Shepherd.  That isn't just vending machines.  Many operate small cafeterias and are forced to handle cash regularly.  A friend who is blind does this and had a customer try and rip him off recently.  I'm not sure what techniques he uses or how he figured out he was being ripped off, but he figured it out before the person got away with it.

Sorry this message isn't more informative.  I just wanted to point out that there are certainly many blind people who do deal with cash on a regular basis for their jobs.

To respond to Arielle's original thoughts, I'm also not sure I'm comfortable with the money being redesigned just for blind people.  One thing to think about though is that when done correctly, implementing universal design should benefit a whole array of people, including people without disabilities.  I really haven't done all my homework on this topic, but if the treasury wants to design new bills that are accessible to as many people as possible, then I think we can be involved in giving feedback and advocating for the accessible currency without the fear that it sends the wrong message about blind people.

My favorite currency is still the Euro.  Without any special features for blind people, the notes are accessible because they are different sizes.

Peace,
Greg