[nabs-l] [Nfbnet-members-list] Threw Our Eyes interview, Ride into History, Race for Independence, Wed. June 22, 8:00 pm EDT

T. Joseph Carter carter.tjoseph at gmail.com
Sat Jun 25 10:56:33 UTC 2011

Courtney,

I agree with your assertion that it is not a necessity.  Yet it is
something that many who are blind (myself included) feel should be
done all the same.  I’m still not sure what shape more accessible
currency will take, but I hope that it is not a simple subsidizing of
the inefficient technologies we’ve already got.  A low-tech solution
is needed.

Or, if the solution is high-tech, it should involve very  simple and
affordable electronics along possibly with some kind of counterfeit
protection benefit as well.  A bar code readable only under a UV
light, perhaps?  That’d be an instant read for a device, and in fact
it could read it twice, first with the UV and then without it.  If
the bar code can be read both times, the bill is a forgery.  That
kind of thing.

Of course, such a system requires replacing all paper currency in
circulation today.  This is not a trivial task, but it can be
accomplished in years rather than decades using methods I have
described in the past.

My preference is still for progressively shorter bills as
denomination decreases, but this requires the dollar bill to become
about 2/3 its current length, and anyone who owns vending machines
will scream bloody murder about the cost of retrofitting their
hardware for that!

Joseph