[nabs-l] [Nfbnet-members-list] Threw Our Eyes interview, Ride into History, Race for Independence, Wed. June 22, 8:00 pm EDT

bookwormahb at earthlink.net bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Sat Jun 25 20:10:16 UTC 2011

Kirt,
I believe this logic is flawed because our government has redesigned
currency in the past. Also, realize that money itself has a short lifespan,
maybe five years; I don't know. The government reprints and reprints new
money all the time.
Yes we can use money in its current form and I usually just use my vision to
check the amount unless a sighted family is around to ask.
But implementing universal design when the government already redesigns
currency isn't a bad idea.  I don't agree with ACB that
the government discriminates against us by failure to have accessible money.
But there are barriers.  People on this list have been ripped off by cabs
and a former rehab teacher knows clients who were also ripped off by cab
drivers.
So identifying money via another human or technology is an inconvenience we
shouldn't have to have.
IMO it adds some uncertainty to life. Besides we could have jobs involving
money like cashiers if it were accessible.

Ashley