[nabs-l] Philosophy in society

humberto humbertoa5369 at netzero.net
Tue Mar 1 01:14:36 UTC 2011

Hi, I thought, once again, to not write something here, but I'm
forced to by the inspiration:

Stevie wonder is a famous blind celebrity. He wrote a song called
"Higher Ground," If you haven't heard this song, this song has
the quite clear message. To go the extra mile, to continue
fighting, to not give up and face our challenges and fight
against them; also to try and keep trying. Yes, there might be
some blind people with low expectations taught by their sighted
parents and counterparts, and they get lazy, and don't have
employment. I think if we blind people, and also those blind
people that have low expectations, keep on trying to raise our
own expectations by taking the initiative to get propper
training, propper education, and proper skills we can succeed in
our lives, we can become independent and as competent as our
sighted counterparts. We could use our blindness skills to be as
competent, and so the society will not see us with their
misperceptions about blindness. Once we are competent enough and
if we demonstrate it in front of public and the society, they
will see in action, how competent we are and how we really deal
with new challenges. They will see that we are not helpless
people or people who need help or they will not have as low
expectations as they did back in the 50s and possible still
today. And oh, by the way, I want to emphasize that *** WE THE
BLIND ARE PART OF SOCIETY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ***

Yes, I'm
>sure there are blind people with low expectations and a sense of
entitlement
>resulting from their disability, but I don't know that every
blind
>unemployed person out there has found themselves in this
situation on
>account of being lazy or for lack of trying.  I've known three
highly
>competent blind people who were unemployed for a period of time
for no other
>reason than the poor state of the job market.  That being said,
the job
>market will remain competitive even when the economy bounces
back, and
>people, blind or otherwise, should be prepared to run the extra
mile to make
>themselves marketable.  For blind people unfortunately this means
living in
>cities with better public transportation, better education and
plenty of
>experience, whether it be paid or unpaid.  Writing list posts,
producing
>podcasts and maintaining blog journals will only get us so far on
the resume
>unless these activities are advancing one's objectives or
directly relevant
>to the position to which one is applying.

>Joe

>“Hard work spotlights the character of people: some turn up their
sleeves,
>some turn up their noses, and some don't turn up at all.”--Sam
Ewing