[nabs-l] Blindness and Safety

Andi adrianne.dempsey at gmail.com
Sat Mar 5 18:36:38 UTC 2011

It is true that atackers more often then not target people who they feel are
weeker and easier to control.  This is a commen misperception of blind
people as well.  Also atackers do not want to be caught by athorities so
they feel a blind person would not be able to identify them, also a
misconception.  So in answer to your question, yes blind people are more
likely to be a target, however, we as blind people can use the stariotypes
of helpless victems to our advantage.  Since atackers are not expecting
their blind victem to put up much of a struggle, arrogance and ignorance  is
their weekness.  I think all blind people especially women should take some
sort of self defence corse.  Infact all women should take self defence
sighted or not.  Men should also know how to defend themselves but they are
not as big of a target.  If you are not experienced with a weapon do not
carry one it can be used against you.  If you have not taken lessons in
fighting or symple selfdefence you should.  Untell then remember to go for
soft spots if your atact.  Eyes, nose, stummech, groin, and just under the
ears are good places to hit hard or apply significant force to.  The smaller
the target like eyes or under ears use finger tips.  For the nose use the
heal of your hand and push up and back.  For all other places use fist elboe
knee or what ever you have availible to you.  The weekest places however are
a personts joints.  Unless a person is dubble jointed, their joints have a
limited range of motion.  Knees do not normally bend backwards, kick them so
they do.  Elbows don't twist or hyperextend use that, they brake easily.
Fingers when bent the right way can bring a person to their knees do then
and continuew till they all brake at once.  It is good to learn selfdefence
but if you don't know complicated fighting techneeques this is a verry
afective way to down an attacker.  Also there is a place on the inside of
the thy about two inches above the knee that will temperarily parrilize a
person if hit hard enough.  The effects only last five minuts so if you
manage it run like hell.  Do not focus on just one form of atack use what
ever the atacker gives you and he will give you places you can strike
because he thinks you are defenceless.  Also do not underestimate gravity.
Use his weight against him make him think he is winning then let his weight
be his undooing.  Remember his voice, and speech patterns and body type for
if he gets away and there are no witnesses and the police kneed to know what
their looking for. If you notice anything about the material they are
whereing it may give insite as to what ocupation thay have or be an
identifying quality.  Step on his foot, is he whering boots, dress shoes,
or tennis shoes.  Obviously you are trying to get away and down him, so you
are not examining his looks and appairal, but notice what you can, anything
helps. If you push on his pressure point below the ears try to brush your
hand on his hair is it short long, volumous, cirly, strate.  You may not
catch all this but you might.