[nabs-l] Blindness and safety

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 6 02:47:49 UTC 2011

As a blind person, I do not feel less safe than I did as a sighted
person.  I believe a lot of what prevents attacks or violence, for
anyone, is how you carry yourself.

People who appear confident and self-possessed, tend to be viewed as
victims less than those who lack these traits.  Criminals look for easy
targets, and people with disabilities are not necessarily considered
easy targets based on their disability alone.

Of course, we should always be cautious and avoid situations where our
safety is in jeopardy.

When I have night classes, I do not take the bus since I would have to
traverse some dodgey parts of town, and usually my husband will come
wait with me so I am not alone late at night on campus.

When walking about town with a bag or purse, I keep it close to my body
so people are less likely to grab it or pick-pocket something from it.

I know a couple of blind people who have taken martial arts and
self-defense classes, but again, I would advise this for anyone, not
just blind people.

There are ways to identify people non-visually-- even sighted people do
not always see their attackers so they may be asked to identify a voice
or describe other sounds at the time.

If you ever feel unsafe, for whatever reason, take precautions and
accommodate yourself so you feel comfortable.

Bridgit