[nabs-l] rehab counselors and expectations

bookwormahb at earthlink.net bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 6 03:19:39 UTC 2011

Hi all,

Has your vocational rehab, vr, counselor been supportive of your goals?
I don’t feel mine is.  First I wanted to go into education, but for several reasons got discouraged and decided against it for now; maybe in the future I can go to grad school for a masters in education with emphasis on teaching blind/visually impaired students.  But for now, I want a job in communications, development, something human services, or clerical support.  I’m pretty open.  I got several federal internships through the intern program WRP, but don’t want to work in the government.  I just feel I won’t get much work in my job and will not be able to do outreach to the community there.

My vr counselor discouraged education or childcare.  Now I feel she is encouraging me and all clients for that matter, to go into the public sector!
Another comment that bothered me was to look for jobs near my home, rather than in the more urban city area where I was looking.  Gee, why limit yourself!  Why not get a job near transportation as long as your commute is reasonable!  Why limit myself to one location?

I feel as if counselors don’t have the highest expectations for clients.  Fortunately, I know successful blind people working in many areas; I know we should be defined by our other strength and abilities and interests, not blindness.

Okay just had to vent some.
Ashley