[nabs-l] Reliable readers

Arielle Silverman nabs.president at gmail.com
Sun Mar 6 20:44:21 UTC 2011

Hi Ashley,

I think it's reasonable to say, during the interview, that in order to
take the job a prospective reader needs to agree to follow a few
simple rules. Perhaps one rule could be that if they need to cancel a
scheduled appointment, they need to tell you a certain number of days
in advance so you can make other arrangements. Also it makes sense to
ask them to tell you their availability right away, with the
understanding that you can ask them to work during any of their
available times, and if their available times change they are
responsible for telling you as soon as they find that out. Clear
communication is the most important aspect of reliability, in my
opinion. I think it's fair to say up front that after a certain number
of violations of these rules (i.e. not giving advance notice about
schedule changes, being late or no-showing, etc.) they will be fired.
It's normal for something last-minute to come up every once in a
while, but if it's a repeat occurrence, this causes serious problems
for you. It's much easier to say this early on than to have to tell
them later that they're fired when they don't have any advance
warning.

I don't have much experience supervising readers but I do supervise
research assistants and we go over these kinds of rules with them as
soon as they sign up, and I haven't had any problems with RA
reliability.

Arielle

--
Arielle Silverman
President, National Association of Blind Students
nabs.president at gmail.com
Website:
www.nabslink.org