[nabs-l] Future of the NFB

Kirt Manwaring kirt.crazydude at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 01:27:25 UTC 2011

Darian, George, Brice, Joshua, Marsha and all,
  I would hope that us as blind people wouldn't judge those with other
disabilities.  We understand what it's like to be judged, doubted and
ignored.  Would we want any of our multi-disabled friends, especially
within our organizations, to feel that same judgment?  In that regard,
we seem to share an eary resemblence to the sighted public so many of
us love complaining about.
  True other disabilities doubtless pose challenges.  So does
blindness, and we overcome those inconveniences as best we know how.
Why shun or belittle someone whose other disabilities make it
impossible, or at least more difficult than practical, to use the same
techniques we do?  Our alternative techniques should never be seen as
a one size fits all kind of system.  Because others, and I'm talking
about people like Marsha who have disabilities in adition to
blindness, may use a different approach.  I'm disappointed in anyone
who thinks their way works for everyone.  As Batman said, "it's not
who we are that defines us.  It's what we do."  So let's all help each
other to do the best we can with all our various challenges and
disabilities, not just blindness.
  Best,
Kirt