[nabs-l] Future of the NFB

Anmol Bhatia anmolpbhatia at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 8 03:29:21 UTC 2011

Kirt,
I thought you were going to go on a vacation from the list to focus on your studies... I see your vacation was not vary long at all my friend! lol
Anyway I am glad your have not gone on vacation without posting your message because I think you made some good points.
I think it would help NFB and the blind people overall if as many of the disability organizations could work to together as much as we could and in my oppinion and just my oppinion I think there many areas where ACB and NFB have in common and could together advocate in behalf of the blind community. Doing so I believe would further our progress and more friendly policies to benefit the blind community could become reality. Now I am not saying that ACB or NFB should comprimise their principals or their identy or mission, but to often it seems that both organizations are out to benefit themselves andbring down the other, instead of advocating for blind community. An example where I think having two ceperate organizations has actually not been as helpful to the blind is during the Washington Cemenar when you have a group of blind individuals going to Capital to lobby fortwo or three legislation and two weeks you have another group of blind individuals going
 to Capital Hill lobbying for different two or three legislation. We have to realize that we as blind people are the minority in this world and we live in a society which is really uneducated about blindness and blind people. Therefore, our sighted congressional members really do not understand what is best for the blind community and how to best serve us. Some argue that we have two political parties, so why can we not have two different organizations to represent the blind? Well, unfortunately the blind community does not have the luxury that sighted people have to have two different political parties.
On another point, Kurt is right when he says that NFB's fear to work with other disability organizations in fear that our goals will be water down is not helpful. Organizations like National Council on Disability (NCD) and American Association for People with Disabilities (AAPD) are frankly much more powerful then the NFB or ACB and these organizations have much more clout with our congressional members then eather of the two major blind advocacy organizations. Moverover, yes we do have issues wich are important only to the blind community, but again this is just my oppinion the disability community actually have more issues that are important to all disabilities then ones which are just important to certain community.
So Kurt I agree with you when you say that when we meaning the NFB can work with other disability organizations such as NCD or AAPD.
Just my thoughts.
Anmol
I seldom think about my limitations, and they never make me sad. Perhaps there is just a touch of yearning at times; but it is vague, like a breeze among flowers.
Hellen Keller