[nabs-l] In Opposition to Divisions

Joe Orozco jsorozco at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 23:56:30 UTC 2011

Darian,

Oh, come on now.  Just because I admitted I was okay with divisions does not
mean I advocated divisions should supplement or even replace local chapters.
If I were to rank them, local chapters would absolutely be at the top of the
priority list for several reasons.  First, they give you a greater frequency
to see your fellow members.  Second, they are ultimately the organizations
that carry our message to the greater community.  Third, it's because
chapters are mostly run by older people that young people should get in
there and learn everything they can about why things are the way they are
from these veterans, and finally, chapters provide the best perspective to
learn about leadership skills you cannot readily achieve from national
divisions.  Where as divisions might be considered the arms of the
organization, never doubt that the heart of the NFB lies in its chapters,
and if things like poor follow-through, lack of planning or lack of
organization are keeping students from investigating their local chapters,
you should get in their and change it into what you think a smooth chapter
should operate like.  Students usually have a million reasons not to attend
chapter meetings, but when you leave school, life only gets more demanding.
If you are not motivated now, you will not feel compelled later, and the
middle age gap that appears to have filled the NFB will continue to prevail.
I won't be a hypocrite and tell you I am an avid participant of my local
chapter.  I stopped attending after my work and school schedule no longer
allowed it, but then again, I'm not claiming to be the hard working member I
once was either.  I'll come back eventually in all my controversial glory,
and when I do, it won't be to find out how to help a division or even an
affiliate board.  It'll be how to strengthen my local chapter, and if one
doesn't exist, it'll be to set up the best damn chapter that ever did
breathe.  Meanwhile, I hope to do what I can to help the NFB by way of my
small business.  See?  I can, sometimes, write shorter posts. LOL

Best,

Joe