[nabs-l] Future of the NFB

Jedi loneblindjedi at samobile.net
Sun Mar 13 04:18:24 UTC 2011

What complicates the issue is that there is a lot of variation in how
multiply disabled persons view each of their disabilities in turn. I
had an opportunity to visit the deaf-blind division and was seriously
disappointed. I hoped that the division would have as positive
philosophy about their deafness as they did about their blindness.
Instead, I found that they treated their hearing loss as most sighted
people treat vision loss: they tried to maximize their hearing and
seemed like they didn't want to be identified as deaf. I hope things
have changed since then; I visited in 2004, I think. I'm pretty sure
that there are other deaf-blind individuals who feel differently about
their deafness; differences like these may make it difficult to form a
unified division such as the deaf-blind division. Hell, if i were deaf,
I'd just apply Jernigan's philosophy and move on from there. I'd learn
the alternative techniques of deafness, integrate them with my
alternative techniques of blindness, learn about new and exciting
technologies and techniques for achieving whatever I'd like to achieve,
and have a good time at it. That's just me though.

Respectfully,
Jedi