[nabs-l] Future of the NFB

Jedi loneblindjedi at samobile.net
Sun Mar 13 18:47:25 UTC 2011

Sean,

I agree with you that a person's bundle of identities is really quite
complex. I also agree that we place a certain amount of importance on
each identity depending on our own core beliefs and goals. Further, I
agree that the NFB is an organization of individuals making decisions
and agreements on what should be done about a given topic. And yes, the
definition of culture in sociological terms has been recently broadened
(recently being the late 80's) to include a wider array of cultures and
co-cultures. Interestingly, part of that definition now includes
organizations, particularly if the organization plays a major role in
an individual's life. And you're definitley right about the fact that
there's currently an argument about whether or not the disabled
population has a culture, whether or not the blind have a culture, and
whether or not the NFB is a culture. I think now is a good time to
start hashing that stuff out because it's a good idea to get to know
ourselves better. I personally think it's useful to consider ourselves
a culture because it helps me to understand why we do what we do. that
said, I also believe, as I've said earlier, that one can belong to
multiple cultures and so I believe that I belong to the NFB culture,
greater U.S. culture, and the Northwest U.S. regional culture. All of
these heavily influence who I am and how I think and discuss things.
How you design your cultural identities will definitely be different
from how I design mine. But as a matter of curiosity, would you be
willing to argue why the NFB isn't a culture according to your
definition of it?

Respectfully,
Jedi