[nabs-l] Future of the NFB

Kirt Manwaring kirt.crazydude at gmail.com
Sun Mar 13 19:00:40 UTC 2011

Jedi,
  I think the problem is our different definitions of culture...you,
as far as I can tell, are coming at it from a sociological prospective
of a culture being any shared belief, value, or characteristic that
binds people together.  I'm looking at it more from the vernacular
standpoint- a culture is a large set of values that lots of people
have in common, and use to define themselves.  Two very, very
different things.
  I do not live my life by the precepts of the Federation, except I
believe that the NFB philosophy helps me succeed in the rest of my
life.  For me Federationism (I hate that word, makes it sound like a
religion or political idiology or something) is not an end in itself.
Were I to condense my personal version of blindness philosophy in one
sentence, it would be something like "If I get quality training, and
have a positive atitude, blindness won't stop me from doing whatever
the hell I want."  Sounds a lot like the "with propper training"
statement you quoted above...but that doesn't make me part of an NFB
culture in the vernacular sense of being part of a tight-nit group
that shares a lot of common beliefs and a lot of underlying
assumptions about life.  That's just one belief, one assumption, that
doesn't make a culture in the commonly understood sense.  I mostly
don't hang out with NFB people and, from what I've seen, the NFB is a
cross-section of all sorts of different cultures and lifestyles and
philosophies.  I see blindness as a characteristic, not a cultural
identity.
  Best,
Kirt