[nabs-l] nabs-l Digest, Vol 53, Issue 19

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 14 04:33:16 UTC 2011

Kirt,

But in the context of what you guys are saying, it doesn't really make
sense.

If merely sharing common interest or goals makes us a culture, then yes,
religions and sports and liking one sex over another are a culture.  We
do not share all aspects of life with others that hold these interest
though.

Certain religions like Mormonism may be argued to be its own culture,
but in general, take Christianity or contemporary western Judiasm, these
religions are practiced around the world so what does that mean for the
argument of culture?  And for that matter, blind people are not unique
to North America, we live in all parts of the world and we are involved
in true aspects of culture-- customs and practices, languages, belief
systems, artifacts, etc.  So blindness only seems to set us a part from
others in terms of sensory loss, but not as containing attributes
specific to the blind only.

And (yes, I know it was a joke) but heterosexuals and homosexuals may
not share attraction to gender in common, but they do share the same
need for love and companionship.  They experience all the same feelings,
just for different genders.

This is how it is for the blind.  I don't feel any different than I did
before blindness even though society may hold certain views I disagree
with.  Some people are still racist, does this mean black people are not
a part of American culture because some people are ignorant?

I don't do different things from sighted people I know, though I may use
different tools to do some things.  I still experience life like my
family and friends, and often we share common interest.

I do believe this discussion comes down to semantics, and, I say this
respectively, culture is not the proper word to be used.  I believe
whole-heartedly in the core of the NFB, but I do not gain a
self-awareness or self identity from the organization or my blindness.
How can we say blindness is just a characteristic, but in the same
breath that we are a unique culture within already established culture
where we all live?  I presume none of us live in Federation communities,
and no, training centers do not count because it is not permanent.
*smile*

We may agree to disagree, and that is okay.  Does this mean we are not a
part of the same culture?  But we are Federationist!  LOL  I have yet to
hear a valid argument-- for me-- that convinces me the NFB is a unique
culture, and that blindness itself is a different identity.

I will make this really controversial, this is why some argue (and even
those among race-based groups) that no such thing as a black culture
exist.  Or for that matter, any racial group born in a particular
country.  Most my black friends do not identify as African -American
because it implies that they were born in Africa, and they were not.  I
would argue a race has more complicated threads to pull into a
discussion like this, but can we truly define ourselves based on a
single attribute?  Color, gender, disability?

A culture must include various elements, and I fail to see how
blindness, inspite of how you view the disability itself, constructs us
as people.  We say we make decisions or experience the world
differently, but I have not witnessed this in my own life.  I mean, if
some aspect of me considered different, or at times, inferior, suddenly
constitutes a culture, then as a woman, I belong to the culture of
women.  It does sound silly to me.  *smile*

Bridgit

Message: 7