[nabs-l] skimming

Greg Aikens gpaikens at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 00:39:19 UTC 2011

Yes, at least on the graduate level, most classes give you enough reading that it isn't practical for most students to read all the material.  Skimming becomes a skill that is vital.

Antonio, I have been trying to figure this out as well lately.  I too am frustrated by the fact that Daisy supports the kind of indexing that would be extremely helpful for skimming, but the amount of work necessary to put books in that format has apparently kept providers from doing so.  I have RFB and D books that don't even index every page.  That said, it is still way better than when we used taped materials.

If you are using RFBD books on a Victor Stream, you could use the time jump feature and jump forward or backward in set increments.  I suspect other digital players have this functionality as well.  This isn't quite as good as skimming but it can be helpful.

I would look on bookshare if you have not already.  Being able to search for key phrases or headings can speed up the process.

I don't know what field you are in, but much of my reading is journal articles which follow a predictable format.  These are easier to skim through once you know the format of the literature.  You can search for the method or results section etc.

If others have found strategies to wade through ridiculous amounts of reading without reading every word, please share.

-Greg