[nabs-l] skimming

Joe Orozco jsorozco at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 12:36:18 UTC 2011

Antonio,

Yeah, I don't know how many people actually read the whole text in their
studies.  I'm sure Hermione would approve, but in my reality, this was never
accomplished.  I don't know if it's possible, but could you get a copy of
Dragon Dictation, set it to record the RFB audio, and convert to text that
way?  I mean, you'd think it would be doable.  I have no idea how much the
Dragon software costs, so this may be of no use to you this time around.  If
I were in your position, I would probably speed up the audio to something
quick but legible.  Also, doesn't RFB mark their audio?  I don't think it's
one continuous recording, so I would probably listen to the first few
minutes of each section and then move on.  I assume you already have class
notes, which you can then turn into an outline, and you figure out how much
to listen to based on the structure of your outline.  Yes, there are
professors who will test you on things not covered in lecture, but the main
points will have been covered in class.  If you fill in the outline through
this suggested method of audio skimming, you can later go back and listen to
the most relevant sections more thoroughly, but perhaps the most important
advice is not to postpone your reading until the last minute!  Well, the
second best advice is to buy the hard copy books and do your own scanning.

Best,

Joe