[nabs-l] Blind Majority

Joe Orozco jsorozco at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 20:50:22 UTC 2011

Dear all,

I always knew that the executive positions on any NFB chapter, affiliate or
division board had to be blind.  I did not, however, know that this majority
rule also applies to the general membership of these organizations.  It is
my understanding that at least 51 percent of the membership has to be blind
and that this provision was primarily included to prevent sighted people
from taking over the organization.  I can see how this would have made since
in the organization's early beginnings, maybe even during the 60's, but
seeing as how the provisions survived the 1986 ratification and is still on
the books today, I am curious to hear what you think as the up and coming
generation of leaders.  Is it necessary to guarantee a predominantly blind
organization through constitutional provisions, or should we be allowed to
bring in sighted people interested in membership to further promote our
cause?  I have my thoughts on the subject, but I'm curious to hear your
views.  The NFB constitution provisions read as follow:

"Section C. State affiliates shall be organizations of the blind controlled
by the blind. No organization shall be recognized as an "organization of the
blind controlled by the blind" unless at least a majority of its voting
members and a majority of the voting members of each of its local chapters
are blind."

"Any organized group desiring to become a state affiliate of the National
Federation of the Blind shall apply for affiliation by submitting to the
president
of the National Federation of the Blind a copy of its constitution and a
list of the names and addresses of its elected officers. Under procedures to
be
established by the board of directors, action shall be taken on the
application. If the action is affirmative, the National Federation of the
Blind shall
issue to the organization a charter of affiliation. Upon request of the
national president the state affiliate shall provide to the national
president
the names and addresses of its members. Copies of all amendments to the
constitution and/or bylaws of an affiliate shall be sent without delay to
the national
president. No organization shall be accepted as an affiliate and no
organization shall remain an affiliate unless at least a majority of its
voting members
are blind. The president, vice president (or vice presidents), and at least
a majority of the executive committee or board of directors of the state
affiliate
and of all of its local chapters must be blind. Affiliates must not merely
be social organizations but must formulate programs and actively work to
promote
the economic and social betterment of the blind. Affiliates and their local
chapters must comply with the provisions of the constitution of the
Federation."

Regards,

Joe