[nabs-l] Weight issues

Mary Fernandez trillian551 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 20:49:54 UTC 2011

Dear Ashley,
I'm not quite sure what you mean by pear shape and apple shape.
Typically, women are either top heavy, btoom heavy, which is what
typically we mean by pear shape, or hour glass, which is pretty
balanced on top and bottom.
As far as dress size, especially for women, size is the most
unreliable thing to measure anyone by. There is not standardization
and while a brand like INC a size 8 would be a size six in Michael
Kors. I would try to talk to your mom, and say that while you
understand where she is coming from, we are all built differently,
that you wan to be healthier, however, it truly isn't fair or
reasonable to measure you and treat you differently because of your
dress size. You know?
I think it is essential that we all have a good self-image, we can't
measure ourselves by annorexic models, but we should strive to feel
good about ourselves and the way we look. But we should also try to be
as healthy as possible since over weight has been proven over and over
to affect much of our health.
Sincerely,
Mary F

--
Mary Fernandez
President: Georgia Association of Blind Students

"It's not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much
rather you weren't doing it."
Terry Pratchett