[nabs-l] First-time flyer, and I'm looking for advice

Arielle Silverman nabs.president at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 04:01:50 UTC 2011

Hi Christopher,

First of all, welcome to the NABS list. My name is Arielle Silverman
and I am the current president of the National Association of Blind
Students. I'm totally blind and a Ph.D. student in social psychology
at the University of Colorado. I first joined this list when I was in
high school and have always found it to be tremendously helpful and
supportive.

Regarding flying: I would say, first of all, don't worry about it too
much. There are blind people who fly by themselves all the time. Some
of us fly internationally by ourselves, and we often move smoothly
through layovers, baggage claim, security, and the other surprises
airlines sometimes like to throw at us. Some blind people use
assistance, some of us don't, and some of us use assistance only if
we're in a hurry or have a lot of baggage. In other words, there's no
one way to navigate the airport as a blind person. I flew by myself to
NFB convention for the first time when I was 18, too. I was very
nervous, and used assistance for the whole trip. Now I fly very
often-on average, about once every 1-2 months-and I don't think much
of it.

By all means, if you want to, go ahead and ask for an escort when you
check in for your flight, and walk with the escort through security to
your gate. There's no need to call ahead-just ask when you check in,
if they don't offer first. But, since you mentioned in your email that
you are good at improvising and want to make this more of a challenge,
then perhaps you might think about doing part of your trip without
assistance, by walking around the airport on your own.

Many of us are afraid to walk around in airports by ourselves, but
really I have found that an airport is one of the easiest, safest
places to explore. There are lots of people around to ask for
information, and everything is indoors, so there's only so far you
will go if you get turned around. Instead of walking with an escort,
you might try just asking the person who checks you in, "Which
direction is security?" Then walk in the direction they tell you, and
double-check with someone else walking by to see if you are going the
right way.

Once you get past security, there will be central food court areas,
which you will notice because of their distinctive sounds and smells.
In most airports the gates are on carpet, and the gate area will sound
more enclosed and will probably have some kind of TV or radio playing.
Gates tend to go in numerical order, so you can ask someone sitting at
one of the gates, "What gate number is this?" and then ask them,
"Which direction is it to gate [gate number]?" Then you can count
gates, or walk down a few gates and then ask again what gate number
you are at.

Of course, navigating the airport without assistance might take a
little longer, especially at first. But if you have the extra time,
it's a good way to learn more about the airport layout, and to boost
your confidence. I also like it because I don't have to stand around
waiting for an assistant, and because I'm free to go wherever I feel
like going without feeling like someone is watching or babysitting me.
If you want to try it for the first time, you might think about having
the assistant show you through security, but then finding your gate on
your own, or going with the assistant in Indianapolis but then going
it on your own from gate to gate in Chicago. (Actually, the first
airport I traveled in without assistance was the Chicago-Midway
airport on my way to an NFB Washington Seminar. I had a long layover,
decided to kill some time exploring the airport, and that's when I
realized how easy it really can be).

I'm so glad that you'll be going to the BLIND, Inc. prep program this
summer. During this program all of you will fly to Orlando together,
and will learn lots about airport travel.

Good luck and definitely feel free to ask any other questions you may have.

Arielle

--
Arielle Silverman
President, National Association of Blind Students
nabs.president at gmail.com
Website:
www.nabslink.org