[nabs-l] majority

Jedi loneblindjedi at samobile.net
Sun Mar 27 01:42:37 UTC 2011

Bridget,

As a case of history, something like what you describe really did
happen. There are several blindness organizations in Canada of the
blind. One of them, now called the National federation of the Blind
Alliance for Equality, started out as the first Canadian organization
similar to the NFB in the U.S. At some point in their history, they
allowed sighted people to vote without any restrictions on ratios of
blind to sighted. At some point, the number of sighted persons did
outweigh the number of blind persons in the group, and the sighted
really did change the direction of the organization such that the
original integrity of the group's purpose was compromised. It wasn't
because the sighted could see; that wasn't the problem. Instead, it's
that sighted people (the majority of them) really don't get blindness
on a fundamental level because it's contrary to their experience of the
world as sighted persons. The sighted (for the most part) tend to see
the world through their perspective and will act accordingly just as we
act accordingly with our perspective. Though no harm is meant, the
sighted may choose policies that aren't good for blind people. The
Google Aps project is a case in point: no one means to discriminate
against the blind; it just didn't occur to sighted users and designers
that the blind can't get at the applications because they've really got
no cause to understand. Most sighted people don't understand what the
problem is with touch screens because it doesn't occur to them that
they're a problem for the blind even though it should be quite obvious.
Meanwhile, the problems that sighted people envision related to
blindness are things we've overcome ages ago, but they haven't been a
part of that process so they simply don't know. Yes, we can educate the
sighted, but it takes a special sighted person to totally deconstruct
their perspective and taken-for-granted assumptions about the world for
them to get it. Yes, some blind people must go through a similar
deconstruction, but I imagine that such a deconstruction may be more
difficult for sighted persons in some ways since they adhere pretty
strongly to a very visual reality. For the blind who must relearn, I
wonder if it isn't a tad easier because there's a gut level
understanding that a preference for vision is pretty arbitrary in
nature. Maybe I'm wrong, and I definitely think I'm not doing myself
justice. What do you all think?

Respectfully,
Jedi