[nabs-l] Making Friends/Socializing With Sighted People

Anjelina anjelinac26 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 27 17:20:31 UTC 2011

Katie,
you make a lot of valid points. I spoke to a sighted friend about how she
would react, and she said this is common among sighted groups; this isn't
exclusive to blindness. She'll see a friend/acquaintance, stop and say hi
then move onto what she was originally doing. Not inviting the person isn't
in anyway a sign of exclusion or disrespect.
She recommended inviting the person to call or text when wanting to do
something another time.
I asked how she'd feel if someone invited themselves into a group and she
said it'd be a bit awkward depending on the friendship. She'd feel obligated
to say yes, which in some circles might make the social experience forced.
There isn't an across  the board answer for all social situations. As Jedi
said, it comes down to your judgment.