[nabs-l] working with the public

humberto humbertoa5369 at netzero.net
Tue Mar 29 03:51:11 UTC 2011

Hi ashley.
No, I don't think there are any other portable scanners out there
but the KNFB reader and there is also an iPhone application that
can scan and read out loud as well.  Check out
freedomScientific's web page at www.hj.com, I belichre there is
another portable solution, like a camera that can scan print
pages as well.  You can also check out some of the other devices
like the docuscan scanner or something (I'm not sure what the
other ones are called) but just google around and you will find
things.  Keep options opened.

<nabs-l at nfbnet.org
>Date sent: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 23:39:29 -0400
>Subject: Re: [nabs-l] working with the public

>Hi,
>Thanks.  Labeling in braille sounds like a good idea.  But I'm
dealing with
>bulk stuff likely.
>Like lots of the same brochure or copies of letters.  Maybe I
should lable
>the file or folder or whatever the papers are in.
>I also have some vision; so may be able to color code things or
remember
>what a certain paper is colored if its on colored paper.
>I do not have a Knfb reader.
>Are there portable scanners out there that don't require a
computer? I mean
>stand alone devices that are small and portable that you could
carry with
>you from work station to station to some extent.
>That might be a good device to have as well.

>Ashley

vision
>I may not see who is there.

>>So did you figure out techniques to know people were coming up to
>you?  Any cues you listened for?  I figured that most will just
>speak right when they come up to the desk; after all they want
>information!  But in case they don’t, I’d like to
be able to
>greet them.

>>I’ll probably work with another staff member or volunteer
at
>first while training; but I want them to have confidence in me I
>can handle it on my own.
>>How do you handle papers that they fill out or you have to
>desiminate?  What I mean is they might have to sign in or
>something.  I might be required to answer questions and hand out
>brochures, pamphlets, or other matterial.  How can I ensure I am
>giving out the right information?

>>Maybe I should just label the stack in braille? What about
>identifying people?  Do I just ask and take their word for it?  I
>doubt they will need to track who comes up to the counter and
>asks this or that.
>>But just in case, I’m wondering.  If I work at the
visitors’
>center or museums they will already have gone through security so
>that isn’t an issue
>>What do I do about looking up information?  A sighted person may
>skim through a book or something.
>>Do I try and get that in accessible format and do it
>electronically?  What about giving directions?  Often visitors
>ask this.
>>I cannot see a map.  So do I just verbalize directions and hand
>them a map?  A sighted person would probably point to a map while
>explaining; that is what I’ve seen happen in public
settings
>with my parents.

>>Thanks for any ideas.
>>Ashley