[nabs-l] Blind people rock climbing

Sean Whalen smwhalenpsp at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 17:33:47 UTC 2011

Humberto,

This is a perfectly acceptable topic. Please leave the moderating of the
list to David Andrews and the designated NABS list serve committee members.
Unless something is plainly and blatantly out of line, i.e. personal attacks
or the like, please avoid opining on what is and is not an appropriate
topic.

Jamie,

While I have only gone rock climbing a few times, I have belayed for people,
and I felt like I could keep enough slack in the rope for the climbers to
climb and not so much that they were in danger of falling without support. I
just kept a very gentle pull of tension on the rope at all times. I'm
guessing I'm not telling you anything you don't already know, but it seemed
to work for me. I definitely get where your coming from about not seeing
that the climber is about to fall. Obviously, there will be times when you
can hear or feel them struggling, but that won't always be the case. I guess
the best advice I can offer from my admittedly limited experience is to just
be prepared for a fall at all times. Again, not terribly helpful I'm sure,
but the best I have to offer.

Take care,

Sean