[nabs-l] accessible handouts/matterial

Katie Wang bunnykatie6 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 22:12:46 UTC 2011

Hi, Ashley,
  I would not suggest going to the dean or someone above your
professors for this issue. If you could convince the disability
director at your school to speak with the professors, that would be
great, but if not you might need to continue reminding your professors
about your access needs. From my experience, instructors generally
don't mind sending out materials in electronic format, but they can
often get distracted and forget. Many also tend to finalize their
lectures at the last minute, which makes it impractical to send you
the slides beforehand. I have always been fine with receiving my
slides after class rather than in advance; professors generally
explain/paraphrase what is on the slides as they lecture, so I rarely
find it difficult to follow the class without access to the
PowerPoint. I take plenty of notes in class, and slides mostly
supplement my notes by providing an extra level of detail-- They do
not, and should not, serve as the only study tool! An alternative to
receiving slides via email is to bring a flash drive to class and ask
your professor to copy his presentation off the computer after
lecture-- before he can forget!
As for handouts, I think they are a bit easier to handle. As Shawn
said, scanning, while not ideal, is a very feasible option of
accessing printed materials.
  I'm not suggesting for you to stop advocating for yourself-- It is
indeed frustrating to not receive materials in an accessible format,
especially considering that it is something your instructor could
easily provide. However, it is also essential to establish a good
working relationship with your instructor, and going above him for
something relatively minor is not the way to accomplish this (if he
refuses to provide you exams in an accessible format or does not
inform you of the required books in advance, that is a different
matter). Keep communicating with your professor, and remind  the
disability office that they are supposed to serve as a liaison between
students and professors and make sure that you get your
accomoodations. Meanwhile, practice your note-taking skills in class,
and  be prepared for the reality that scanning is necessary once in a
while. Good luck!
   Katie