[nabs-l] New Technology and Blindness

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Sun May 1 23:28:00 UTC 2011

Chris:

With respect, I beg to differ with you.  The americans with disabilities Act
only covers some telecommunications gear (mostly for the deaf); such
coverage is outlined in title V.  Such coverage of other accessibility
issues as the ADA has are the result of the Department of Justice rightly
ruling that cyberspace is a place of public accommodation.  Even though I
think this view makes sense, I am not at all convinced that it could be made
to stick were the issue to be taken all the way to the Supreme Court.  Let's
hope so or, if not, that no one has the stomach to challenge this notion and
take it all the way to the Supreme Court.

Bravo on your efforts as part of the LAW program; every member of Congress
signed on is one more vote for the bill.  The kicker will be whether we can
get the bill introduced during this time of political acrimony.  I will say
no more on this as I have no wish to start up what would be an inappropriate
political argument on this list.

If we are going to change the world, we need clear-eyed thinking and need to
realize what current law covers, what it does not and why and what we need
to change to make it assist us.  And we must also decide what we do *not*
need to ask for because we have the ingenuity to find means of getting the
job done *without* asking the world to change to suit us.  Some people (both
members and nonmembers) these days find that concept a bit tough to swallow.
But a sober-minded assessment of what we can do for ourselves and what we
need to ask of the world is essential to make progress.

Mike