[nabs-l] New Technology and Blindness

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Mon May 2 04:23:29 UTC 2011

I don't think they're planning to actively market the value of
text-to-speech as an audio medium.  You'd have to ask Dr. Maurer or others
involved in negotiations with publishers but I suspect that ultimately it's
little more than a knee-jerk reaction to the word "audio".  They *do* get
quite a bit of money from human-read audio books so probably figure that
allowing blanket use of text-to-speech would cut into this market or set a
precedence for audio to be free.  Both assertions are ridiculous.  But their
reasoning is so obscure and irrational to me that I truly can't answer the
question intelligently. <smile>

Mike