[nabs-l] accessible pedestrian signals APS

Arielle Silverman nabs.president at gmail.com
Sat May 7 23:17:12 UTC 2011

I think it goes without saying that one shouldn't cross the street
unless they both hear a favorable sound from the APS and also don't
hear any perpendicular or turning traffic. There is one light with an
APS that I use here in Boulder and I always wait a few seconds after
the APS starts up to be sure nobody is running the light or making a
quick turn. Still get across with plenty of time to spare.
Arielle

On 5/7/11, Mike Freeman <k7uij at panix.com> wrote:
> One of the guys in our Agriculture and Equestrian Division who lives in San
> diego tells of an instance when a car pulled up to an intersection with an
> APS (there are quite a number in that city) and, rather than looking at the
> light, just listened for the APS.  He stepped on the gas and ran smackdab
> into a car broadside because the light wasn't in his favor. Turns out there
> was actually a bird that sounded like the APS and he thought it *was* the
> APS when, in fact, the APS hadn't sounded. (grin) I think the Ag and Eq
> division member's name is Fred chambers.
>
> Mike

President, National Association of Blind Students
Phone:  602-502-2255
Email:
nabs.president at gmail.com
Website: