[nabs-l] Out of curiosity

Jedi loneblindjedi at samobile.net
Sun May 8 02:41:17 UTC 2011

I can't speak for the NFB, but I'll tell you what I think.

I think it's unfortunate that the FFB uses fear to raise funds for
ophthalmological research. For example, they do these dining in the
dark experiences where sighted people have to try to eat without
seeing. You can imagine what a disaster that is, so they then equate
their experience with that of blind people and give money because, oh,
isn't it aweful to be blind? From what I gather, they don't talk at all
to people about the things that the blind are doing to live
productively. It's all based in this medical model that sees us as sick
or broken. I certainly don't see myself as that way, and I imagine that
many of you all don't, either. But from what I gather, the blind guys
that do participate at the FFB do think of themselves as sick or
broken. On the other hand, I've heard rumors that some NFB guys have
recently gotten involved for one reason or another.

Respectfully,
Jedi