[nabs-l] An Article about another Student at Myy College

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Sun May 8 03:35:15 UTC 2011

Actually, I'll write online as I misspelled poor Fermat's name.

I was just being mischievous in insinuating that God might himself/herself
be mischievous and inspire you with all sorts of world-changing insights
just when you either (a) couldn't write them down or (b) were so sleepy that
you didn't have the energy to get up and write them down.  In either case,
by morning, you will have forgotten them and the world will remain the same
humdrum place it was yesterday. 9grin)

Fermat was a 17th-century French mathematician who postulated a theorem in
number theory for which he said he had a proof but there wasn't enough room
in the margin of the book he was reading to write the proof down.  The
theorem wasn't proved until quite recently and the proof was so esoteric in
and of itself that few mathematicians understood it.

Mike