[nabs-l] NFB training centers and guide dogs

Kirt Manwaring kirt.crazydude at gmail.com
Tue May 10 04:08:59 UTC 2011

Darian,
  That does make sense.  And it's a valid, very important point for me
to consider.  But here are some important factors I also have to
weigh:
1.  Improving my O&M is one of many reasons I'd have to attend a traiing center.
2.  I have the fundamentals of cane travel down pat.  (I've been using
a cane my whole life)
3.  My biggest weakness in O&M is a lack of confidence and experience
in urban areas.
4.  Although my cane skills are solid, I struggle with walking a
straight line across streets-I've had guide dogs recommended to me as
a possible solution to the problem by many people, blind and sighted
alike, both cane and dog users.
5.  Based on past experience, my problem solving skills are mostly
solid, although I need work and experience in more varied
environments.
6.  Even if my cane skills met RJ's standard of perfection, I'd still
probably want to get more training in daily living,
confidence-building activities like wood shop, advanced technology
instruction and braille (I've been reading braille my whole life, I
read contracted braille at around 130 words a minute and I'm not good
at slate and stylus-plenty to work on there.)
  So, basically, I want to explore as many options as I can here.  If
a dog guide could help me do what I need to do, and I have free time
this summer I wouldn't have during normal school time, why not take
advantage?  I could always wait till one more semester is done before
I take my nine-month break from school; I guarantee pushing the center
back 4 months from myinitial plans won't kill anyone.  Assuming I go
the dog route, that would give me and Fido some more time to get to
know each other.  Of course, since my state center is increasingly
adopting the NFB training model, there's a chance rehab won't pay for
me to go out-of-state when a similar program is available here.  Of
course, maybe I'll realize a dog isn't the right fit for me and a cane
would be better-who knows?  If that happens, this is all moot anyhow.
  I was just looking at this as a possible option-I'm not saying it's
what I'm planning on or what I think I should do.  Again, thanks
everyone for the input, suggestions and constructive discussion.  I'm
tired-have a great night!
  Warmest regards,
Kirt