[nabs-l] A blind Fulbright grantee's question

Marsha Drenth marsha.drenth at gmail.com
Tue May 10 20:37:14 UTC 2011

Adrianna,

I can only speak of Philadelphia. We have many many types of transportation
here. If your in a urban area like where Temple is located you can walk
every where. But if you do need to go some place you have the choice of
cabs, buses, train (regional rail( subway, elevated rail, trolley. I again
can only speak of Temple University, as I will be transferring in the spring
of 2011 myself. From what I have heard of other blind people here in the
state who have attended Temple the disability services are good, not
perfect, but good. State services are not great, but that really depends on
the counselor you get. Downtown Philly has lots to do, places to go, lots of
places to eat, and lots of things to do. Temple is an excellent university,
and I have heard of no one who did not like it. Also, as a added bonus,
there is a NFB chapter in Philadelphia you could join, that is very close to
Temple.

I live about an hour north of Philadelphia, and travel into the city quite a
bit. I have lived here for about a year and half. In comparison, Philly
ranks very high in my list, as I have lived in other cities like Dallas and
Baltimore. Philly has much better transportation than those cities.

Good luck in your decision,
Marsha