[nabs-l] volunteering with homeless population

bookwormahb at earthlink.net bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Thu May 12 01:51:45 UTC 2011

Hi all,

Have any of you worked at soup kitchens or food pantries?  How about an area where you either sort out clothes or give them out?
How did it go?  If you are serving, how did you know when they were there?  When my dad and I served at a shelter, they would line up
quietly. I did not always know when someone new was coming up.  I have tunnel  vision, so spotting a person was not always doable.  My dad would say someone was there.  They lined up together, but sometimes people came in later during that hour at random times.
Since we cannot read clothes tags or labels on items, I’m not sure we can sort food/clothes/everyday  items.
I’ve not served at a soup kitchen, just shelters.  I wonder if a soup kitchen is different and run more assembly line method.  That would be easier. Each volunteer in the assembly line would serve an item and the plate would be passed down.

Just asking so if I decide to volunteer, I know what alternative techniques others have used.

Ashley