[nabs-l] NFB training centers and guide dogs

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Thu May 12 04:07:28 UTC 2011

Kirt:

Far be it from me to say that a person can't succeed without training in a
NFB center. I am not one of those who say "it's a NFB center or nothing!". I
sometimes think there's a bit too much of that in our outfit. To some
degree, this is understandable; if one has a product that works superbly,
one wishes to spread the Gospel. However, I think this does a disservice to
those of us who did *not* attend a NFB-inspired training center, who *did*
receive good training elsewhere and who have been and are still living
normal, fulfilled lives. WE don't want to completely fall into the trap of
"my way or no way".

That said, however, I would ask that you consider the following: how do you
*know* that your skills will naturally improve (both O&M and daily living
skills)? And how do you know that your confidence will increase simply by
living your life? I admit that it's probably more likely than not that your
skills and confidence will increase whether you go to a NFB center or not.
However, I submit that you'll have nothing to measure this by; there will be
no peers to encourage you, to kick you in the posterior when you need it and
to serve as a yardstick by which you can truly judge your progress. And
there may be skill deficiencies you haven't noticed yet that could be
remedied at a NFB center.

In other words, without NFB center training (or training at any other
halfway decent orientation and training center, for that matter), you'll be
strictly on your own. That may be what you want. God knows I might not have
lasted more than a day at the old Iowa Commission for the Blind center under
Dr. Jernigan even though I would have believed in the training; when I was
your age, I was quite maverick. But would I not have been almost
insufferably arrogant? I mean, when Spiro T. Agnew called college students
"an effete corps of impudent snobs" in around 1970, I knew he was looking
straight at me and I loved it! But was such arrogance wise?

You might well be missing out on some valuable experiences -- even in the
skills you think you're good at, you can always learn *something* in
organized training you might not have thought of otherwise.

And why are you in such an all-fired hurry? I can tell you this: the
likelihood is *very* high that if you eschew training now, you'll never take
it. Adult life and responsibilities have an insidious way of creeping up on
you and taking all your time. So for practical purposes, your choice is not
to finish college and *then* take training but rather to finish college and
immediately enter the world of work (after all, you'll have student loans to
pay off) with little prospect that you'll ever be able to carve out the time
to get NFB center training in the future,

Mike