[nabs-l] volunteering with homeless population

Greg Aikens gpaikens at gmail.com
Thu May 12 18:13:04 UTC 2011

Hi Ashley,
I have volunteered with a few different homeless shelters.  In one, I helped with dinner, stayed the night, and helped with breakfast in the morning.  I knew that serving would be difficult so I always volunteered to be the dish washer.  Its not something I love doing but it was the most readily accessible job.  After dinner we spent time with the men in the shelter and I usually brought a deck of braille cards to play spades with some of the men.  Each of us had to take a 2 hour shift with a partner during the night to watch the video monitors and make sure everyone was ok.  I couldn't monitor the cameras but I was able to help by talking to whoever my partner was to help keep them awake.

At another shelter I helped sort and roll silverware before the meal was served and helped serve drinks during the meal.  The drinks were in those big coolers with a spout at the bottom and I was able to judge when the cup was full by the weight, instead of using my finger like I do in my own drink.

There are lots of ways you can participate and contribute.  Finding a specific shelter and discovering how they do things will probably be the best way to figure out how you can help.  Take a friend or a family member who is familiar with your abilities with you to help identify possible ways you can help.  Or arrange to show up a little early to meet with someone at the shelter and have them show you around before it is time to start.

I applaud you for wanting to serve in this way.  Service is character building and I think its a great way to change attitudes toward blindness.

-Greg