[nabs-l] MS Excel and accessibility

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Fri May 20 01:28:01 UTC 2011

Chris,

In some ways, this is really a more complicated question than it might seem on the surface.  Excel does work pretty
good with JFW and with Window-Eyes and even some other screen readers.  If you are not at all familiar with
spreadsheets, and if Excel is used as a tool in your school, taking some time to learn about spreadsheets is a good
idea.  I believe there are still tutorials that are free or low cost from the Iowa Department for the Blind.  Check out

http://blind.state.ia.us/assist/

and I think there are other tutorials around.

One also has to look at the reason for graphing.  If your teacher is having students graphing in excel, the chances are
that the students are entering numbers into Excel and then using Excel to display the graph.  The purpose is therefore
not to have students draw graphs but to show them what the graph will look like.  This means that the extra work you
are doing to make a graph on your braille writer is probably beyond the call of duty in a way.  Unfortunately, even
though Excel is accessible, you won't know what the graph looks like.  How numbers relate to each other on a graph
is important for some concepts.  Therefore, even if you don't make the graph, it is important that you understand what
they look like.  If what I have said is accurate, you should talk to your instructor and whatever resources to see if there
is a more efficient way for you to handle this.  There are drawing kits that people can use to make tactile drawings, but
this isn't always necessary.  I believe the American Printing House for the Blind still has graph paper, and one can do a
lot with that and pipe cleaners.  The goal here would be to find tools that someone else could use to show you what
the graphs look like if the kids are letting Excel generate the graphs for them.

Try to get an idea of what the true purpose of this particular exercise is, to have you draw a graph or to have you see
what it looks like.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson