[nabs-l] About the future of NABS and the NFB

Âris Nusbaum dotkid.nusbaum at gmail.com
Fri May 20 20:01:26 UTC 2011

I agree completely, Kirt! Great points!

 Chris

--- Sent from my BrailleNote

 ----- Original Message -----
From: Kirt Manwaring <kirt.crazydude at gmail.com
<nabs-l at nfbnet.org
Date sent: Thu, 19 May 2011 19:57:10 -0600
Subject: Re: [nabs-l] About the future of NABS and the NFB

Darian and all,
  I think sometimes we underestimate the role of vission
teachers.
(call them what you want-TVIs, teachers of blind students,
itinerate
teachers, whatever)  These are usually the people who give blind
students, and their parents, first impressions about blindness
and
thus they have a huge influence on whatever expectations a
student or
parent develops about what is possible as a blind person.  I
think we
need to put a lot more energy in to sincerely dialoguing with
these
teachers, especially the reasonable ones who don't agree with us
(I'm
not saying all teachers who disagree with us are reasonable), to
improve our image and the way we're presented to students.
Because my
state affiliate is pretty good at this, my TVI, although she
disagreed
with a lot of what the NFB does, didn't discourage me from coming
my own opinions and getting as much firsthand experience with the
Federation as I could.  Even those blindness professionals who
disagree with us can, if we present ourselves in a civil and
courteous
manner, direct students to our organization.  It happened with
me.
  Warmest regards,
Kirt