[nabs-l] The Future of Nemeth?

Greg Aikens gpaikens at gmail.com
Sat May 21 05:25:40 UTC 2011

Hi Chris,
I think the point you make is the idea behind a unified code.  In print, different symbols are used for math and for letters.  In braille, we use the same symbols to represent both math and letters depending on context.  The unified system would theoretically eliminate much of the need for context to determine what a text says, making it more like print.

The appeal of a unified code is that there is only one code to learn, instead of learning one code for reading, one for math, and one for computer symbols.  Computer braille, for example, is rather clunky and unwieldy.

I don't really have a strong opinion about whether a unified code would be better than the current systems used.  But having one code does seem like it might simplify things.

Just my thoughts,
Greg