[nabs-l] Android and Mobile Accessibility

Ignasi Cambra ignasicambra at gmail.com
Wed May 25 17:34:14 UTC 2011

Use of the phone and its features really is limited in my opinion. Many things look very promising, and there are a few apps that are designed for the blind and work well with Talkback. There are still many things which don't seem to work for me...random buttons which don't get activated when the screen reader is on, things that are not read to you etc. If you are expecting to be able to check your email and browse the internet just like on an iPhone, I think you will be disappointed.
I personally use my iPhone all the time, but have the Droid just to do experiments. It's relatively easy to develop applications for Android and I have fun with it. I could use it as my primary phone if I wanted to, but I still find the iPhone a lot better as a blind user.
It would be interesting to hear other opinions though. Does anyone on this list use an Android phone??