[nabs-l] Ebook Accessibility/The Future of NLS And Bookshare

bookwormahb at earthlink.net bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Wed May 25 21:21:22 UTC 2011

Steve,
Well said and that is my concern too. All this technology like computers and
braille displays are a privelege students take for granted. Those unemployed
blind people cannot afford such luxuries. Remember any technology you got
was probably purchased for you as a student by rehab.  But technology
doesn't last forever. So while you're unemployed seeking work for five or
ten years, your technology will break and that wonderful tech savy braille
display you had with your notetaker isn't there anymore.

Also consider those on low incomes without computers or those seniors who
can't understand technology or the multiple disabled  students who have
trouble with technology.  I have trouble with synthesized speech. I do NOt,
Not find sitting and listening to a computer enjoyable at all. I find it
very tiring.  I want reading to be pleasurable and learn something.  IThat
is why I like NLS books and what was RFB books  due to the human voice.
Reading should be fun and for pleasure.  If I have to listen to a robot,
that is not fun at all.

So if ebook readers existed, I'd personally not want to use them if I had to
use jaws or synthesized speech. I want a human voice.
Ashley