[nabs-l] dating seaghted people Vs. Blind people?

Humberto humbertoa5369 at netzero.net
Thu May 26 01:23:48 UTC 2011

Hello dear listers,

I'm wanting to know, and I've been curious about, your opinions
on the topic stated in the subject line. I think this discussion
has been shared already on this list a little bit but it would be
good for us to discuss this as a matter of opinions are
concerned.
So, let me begin by asking, what do you think about going out
with a sighted person Vs. a blind person? Are there any main
differences, if any, on dating blind people or sighted people?
Will a blind person expect to date or marry another blind person?
If I date a sighted person, for instance, will I have to deal
with the blindness misconceptions that people sometimes have? How
can a blind person get that sighted person to think that the
blind person can become a competent member of society by doing
everything else that a sighted person can do.
I myself have a blind girlfriend, and yes, we enjoy each other as
much as 2 sighted people will enjoy each other's engagement. I've
been going with her for about 4 years now, and we still keep in
touch.
would it be different if I make the choice to go out with a
sighted girl, yet knowing that my blindness is just a
characteristic? Will she understand that?
I ask these questions only for your thoughts, and I wouldn't just
want to start a huge debate here. I must stress, though, that if
I do choose to date a sighted girlfriend, she must know that my
blindness will not stop me from doing anything that I want to,
and having high expectations.
But is there anything that, specifically speaking, a sighted
person looks for when he or she is trying to date a blind person,
versus a blind person trying to date a blind person? Is personal
gloaming a big deal for this? Have you guy gone through
experiences like that, whether you decide to date someone who is
sighted or who is blind? I know this might seem quite obvious,
but I understand that, unfair or fair as it might seem, sighted
people, the first thing they look at, is how you look. They first
look at you visually and they know immediately whether to stick
with one or not.
Any thoughts? Opinions? experiences? questions?

Cheers,  Humberto