[nabs-l] dating seaghted people Vs. Blind people?

Jamie Principato blackbyrdfly at gmail.com
Thu May 26 15:46:47 UTC 2011

Wouldn't it be easier, and less limiting in terms of who can be a potential
partner, to try to learn these skills? I was a bit worried about this as
well when I started a relationship with a blind person, but five years in,
no one *has* to drive us anywhere. It was just a matter of learning the
skills and practicing, and actually, being together helped us a lot with
that. We always had someone to lean on for support and encouragement, and to
"compare notes" with when we were trying to figure out a new skill. We still
have a lot to learn, but no more than any college student living on their
own for the first time. Just saying that sometimes a blind partner can be
really good in terms of offering support and helping you become independent.
My boyfriend knew a lot more than I did about travel, computers, and so on
in the beginning, and has showed me a lot, and now I help him with things
like learning to cook and such.