[nabs-l] Blindness vs. other minority groups

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 2 20:40:30 UTC 2011

Hmmm... Perhaps the we need the equivalent of the Black Panthers? The
Blind Moles? Okay, okay, needs work! LOL

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter
Read my blog at:

The Expected One- Kathleen McGowan

Arielle,

I think you're right that speaking about blindness in such a negative
way is no different than speaking about other minorities in this
fashion. I think the problem is twofold. First, people honestly feel
that they are being kind to us, but they understand on some level that
negative comments about other minorities are not kind; most people
don't understand how their kindness impacts us. The other problem is
that, up to this point, we haven't spoken with a clear voice on the
matter of how we're treated by the sighted. Yes, there are our banquet
speeches and our public announcements, but we're pressured into
everyday politeness by both blind and sighted persons so much that
we're afraid to tell the sighted how their so-called kindness really
impacts us; the end result is that the sighted have no idea how we
really feel about their behavior and we continue to have the same old
issues we've had forever. Other minorities have done a much better job
of voicing their frustrations than we have on an interpersonal level.
We've conditioned ourselves into thinking that we owe the sighted some
form of special courtesy since we're so afraid that they're going to
judge us all based on the reactions of one person. If you want
evidence, consider "Don't Throw the Nickel" and "The Nature of
Independence."

Let me say now what I've personally decided to do when it comes to this
very issue. I stressed myself out to the point of needing counseling
over whether or not the sighted would judge all of us based on my
actions; I stressed out because i was afraid of how the rest of you
might judge me if you ever found out about how I handled this or that
interaction. That's a hell of a lot of pressure! I personally
internalized the frustrations of all of us and this obsessive need to
educate the sighted. I felt it was my responsibility to be an
ambassador for the blind. I'm not kidding when I tell you that I
emotionally hurt myself and physically drained my personal resources.
After a lot of soul-searching and some professional help, I've decided
to abdicate my role as ambassador for the blind unless I willingly put
myself in that position (e.g. a meet the blind month activity or
presentation on blindness). I have also abdicated my role as the
educator. I've decided to stop dialoguing with the sighted through
education and I've decided to start educating through dialogue. This
needs explaining. If a sighted person says "You do so well that I
forget you're blind," I say (if I think it's important enough), "I feel
stuck when I hear you say that I'm so good at X that you forget that
I'm blind. First, I feel forced to thank you for what you perceived to
be a compliment because, if I don't thank you, I'm the rude one here.
But at the same time, I feel hurt that you would say something like
that because I hear you saying that you don't expect me to do so well
because I'm blind and so are surprised, or that you somehow think that
I'm better than whatever image you've created of me and my blind
friends. This isn't to say that I don't recognize your attempt at
kindness, but I'd rather you tell me that you appreciate something I'm
good at because I'm good at it, not because I seem to go beyond an
expectation I perceive you've set for me." Use whatever words you like
folks. If you're genuinely grateful for the comment, say so. If you're
angry, say so. But for goodness sake, don't just be quiet because
you're expected to be polite. This is a great way to stack these things
up in your heart. And if you can't say whatever you need to say to the
person you need to say it to, find someone to say it to like a friend
or a colleague who understands you. Put it in an e-mail message or
whatever you need to do. That's what other minorities have been doing
with comments like this, and I don't understand why we've not caught on
except that we somehow seem to think we don't deserve this kind of
equality. And you know what, some sighted people won't get it no matter
what you do or say. But some will, and they'll appreciate your
heart-felt honesty a hell of a lot more than whatever platitude you
offer.

Arielle, you asked some of us to talk about our other minority statuses
if we have them. I fit into the "unusual religious belief" category,
and my legal name reflects that fact. Some of you may know how much
crap I've received from some regarding my preference to be called
"Jedi" rather than my given name "Jennifer." I learned the hard way
that going along to get along is a terrible choice. by going along to
get along, I felt like some part of myself wasn't being heard. And if I
fought against the tide of people telling me what to call myself, I
felt like my words and reasons were falling into nothingness, even by
people who cared about me but couldn't understand how important this
preference was to me. So finally, i decided that I need to respect
myself, especially because i wasn't getting much from others in this
respect. So I changed my name legally and now it's no problem. I'm sure
some people were disappointed in me for whatever reason. But I think
they learned to respect me more as a person because I stood up for
myself and didn't ask their permission to be who and what I am. I think
the sighted are the same way. Maybe dramatic demonstrations such as
mine aren't required in every situation, but I think we need to be
ready for those times when they are.

So in short, when you find yourself in a situation where a sighted
person has said or done something to you, think about how that really
makes you feel inside. And if it's important to you, make it a point to
say whatever it is you feel you need to say. And since the rest of us
aren't with you when you're going through this process, none of us have
the right to judge you for whatever you do because we might have done
the same had we been in your shoes. And if we really support each other
and our collective bid for freedom, we shouldn't judge you anyway. Only
you know what's right for you in how you deal with the sighted, and
your experiences will tell you if any changes are needed to your
approach. As to the reactions of the sighted, realize that they'll get
over it; they're just as resilient as we are, and someone might
actually take what you have to say to heart, I've heard it happen
before and I've witnessed it myself. And really folks, we can't expect
ourselves to represent all of us all of the time. We are a people's
movement, yes. But first and foremost, we are people.

If what I say feels right to any of you, let's get in contact because
I'm working on some workshops in which ideas like these can be further
explored and spread to the Federationists who are interested in this
kind of thing.

Thanks for asking the question, Arielle. It's high time someone did.

Respectfully,
Jedi