[nabs-l] Blindness and other minorities

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 3 17:20:57 UTC 2011

Jedi,

I also identify with feminism, but I consider myself a part of a new
wave of feminist, as it were; my term, no official definition! Smile. I
just try to consider all people equals. It's not about asserting
dominance over any particular group, or being just like a man; it's
about being me, the best me, and not buying into preconceived ideas.

I don't back down from my positions and arguments unless I find sense or
logic in another's view point. Feminism, true feminism, which is about
equality, is often misconstrued and viewed in a negative light. I tried
to tailor my argument so as to not focus on feminism in and of itself,
but to display how far from true equality this world really is.

We've lulled ourselves into a false sense of equality in today's world.
Yet everywhere we look, discrimination and prejudice remain staunch
parts of life. I totter on the edge of controversy  here, but we send
military presences into other countries demanding, forcing them to
accept a democratic way of life, but in our own country many of us are
still struggling to be considered a part of the so-called democratic
society here. Yes, I'm not so stupid to not realize in many instances
people in other countries experience medieval-like ways of life and
horrid governments that will kill to get what they want, but in terms of
a democratic, equal life, no one has achieved this. How can Americans
take on the role of big brother when we won't give certain rights and
respect to groups living in America? Our perspective is skewed. I'm not
necessarily claiming we intentionally dish out inproportionate amounts
of equality, but because many don't have to deal with certain
experiences or have much exposure to them, they fail to realize the
truth. Unfortunately this ignorance has led too many to think we live as
equals, and that opportunity is simply something you reach out for and
grab it, as though opportunity is attainable equally. Ten percent of
students learning Braille is certainly not a statistic allowing a
minority to simply reach out and achieve anything.

Anyway, I didn't mean to come across with a wishy-washy message; it's
just that my focus was on showing that people with disabilities are not
the only group still fighting to be viewed as capable equals. And I
personally don't look at certain women differently just because they
choose to take a path less traveled these days. Whether working or not,
I don't think we should judge anyone who is pursuing something they love
or being productive even if not in a conventional or traditional way. I
believe in equality among genders, and I think women should be able to
choose whatever path that makes them happy; meanwhile, my ultimate dream
is to be a soccer mom! Smile.

It's going to take time to convince people that disability isn't the end
of the road. It helps when people with disabilities actually live up to
the standards and ideas espoused by groups like the Federation, but the
same comment can be said about any minority or under-served group. I
think the best way to truly affect society is to live our lives and meet
the same expectations placed on the rest of the world- to achieve
averageness should be the goal all people with disabilities works
towards. Smirky grin.

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter
Read my blog at: