[nabs-l] Graphing and plotting coordinates accessibility on computer

Humberto Avila avila.bert.humberto2 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 22:30:55 UTC 2011

Hello fellow students:

I am taking a math class this fall quarter in college, and they are
requiring me to study graphs and slope forms. Of course, the way I have been
doing these graphs and slopes is by using a graph paper I got from my former
teacher of the blind. I am requesting more graph paper through the DSS
office; hopefully they will get it.

I am only relying on that one sheet of graph paper to virtually plot my
points and lines and I let someone else or a tutor actually plot the points
in a printed sighted graph. but until I acquire more and more graph paper
from the DSO, I have the following question:

Is there any way that I can do graphs on a PC with JAWS? Is there a program
like Microsoft Excel, or word, that are capable of doing graphing? I am
interested in being able to do X-Y graphs with the arrows, as if I read the
equation and then solve to get the coordinate pairs, and then plotting them.
Or with slopes, be able to plot the points and create the line.
Which piece of software will do this, and if there is any third party
software that is capable of graphing like mentioned, is it accessible?

Any suggestions and ideas are welcome please. Also please let me know ASAP
as I need to get more work done on these types of graphs in the future,
plus, I have a test on this probably next week.

cheers,
Humberto