[nabs-l] Blindness vs. Other Minority Groups

Jedi loneblindjedi at samobile.net
Fri Nov 4 23:55:33 UTC 2011

arielle,

I wondered about this rudeness thing, too. And I guess that underscores
for me why it's so important to stand up for ourselves. If the sighted
are writing us off as rude when we stand up for ourselves, they're
basically dealing with cognitive dissonence; they're finding out that
we don't appreciate the kindness they think we ought to appreciate, so
it's much easier to assume that something is wrong with us than to
think that maybe they need to change their behavior. Other minorities
started out with the same problem and still face it to a great  extent.
But for them, it only got better through persistence. Whites started
realizing that Blacks weren't being "uppity" when saying that it's not
okay to discriminate against people based on skin color or inflict
psychological or physical injury because of skin color. Now, most
Whites realize that it's our behavior that needed changing, not theirs.
Women still face the challenge of rudeness when men offer "polite
gestures" such as opening a door or offering to walk a woman home lest
she be assaulted by someone in the dark. I think this is something that
we're just going to have to deal with until enough sighted people
realize that it's not just one or two of us that are unhappy with the
status quo. And I think, too, that some sighted people will, either
right away or after the fact, get it and help us spread our message.
I've heard of sighted people who have confronted other sighted people
about their behavior toward the blind. Some have been successful in
their efforts to educate through dialogue. I think of Darick
Williamson, for example. He has an amazing way of educating other
sighted people in a meaningful way. I know some of my other sighted
friends have had similar success.

but beyond that, I think the big thing is simply not to hold ourselves
responsible for how the sighted react to us. That's part of why the
status quo is what it is. We've been taught to be ambassadors for the
blind; we have been taught to guard our words and actions such that the
sighted don't think we're being rude. Social conflict being what it is,
that's just not terribly realistic. If you're going to be honest with
someone, you run the risk of temporarily causing them some pain. The
trick is to not cause more pain than is necessary; there is such a
thing as tact and empathy for where the sighted are coming from; that
tact and empathy can help the sighted person heal from their temporary
pain provided that the sighted person has the authentic strength of
character to want to heal, learn, and grow. There will be some we just
can't touch, and there's not much we can do to help them for the time
being. They'll have to figure it out through reapeated similar
experiences that challenge their notions about the world and the people
in it. But at least we honored ourselves and were honest.

In short, you just have to do the best you can. And rather than judging
each other for "failed attempts" (in quotes) with the sighted, we need
to recognize that we're all in it together and that no one is perfect;
we also need to recognize that we each might have done or said the same
thing to the sighted person in question had it been us. I think we
suffer from two great fears when trying to be honest with the sighted:
we're afraid of what the sighted person will think and we're afraid of
what other blind people will think. Carl Rogers once theorized that we
tend to adopt other people's values and judgments and act on them as
though they are our own. In the meantime, we've completely gotten away
from our basic experience and developed a distorted sense of who we
really are and what matters to us.

In short, there is no real formula for dealing with the sighted except
to speak from your inner experience while doing as little harm to the
other as possible. All we need is a little practice in a safe
environment such as an encounter group with caring and supportive blind people.

Respectfully,
Jedi