[nabs-l] Blindness vs. Other Minority Groups

Philip S philso1003 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 06:14:13 UTC 2011

I wonder if a society goes through different stages of "acceptance"
for a minority group within that society. And if so, whether "you're
pretty smart for a blind person" is one of those stages, just like in
some other countries a few decades ago, people did make comments such
as "you are pretty smart for a women", but now these countries have
much better gender equity. The optimistic news is that advancements
made by the other minority groups show that indeed this change can
happen.  The question is what are these stages, and what different
strategies and tactics did other minority groups deploy at different
stages to moved the society forward?  Since Arielle used women as one
of the comparison example, I should mention that the World Economic
Forum just issued its flatest Global Gender Gap Ranking Report last
week. The world ranking is a de facto illustration of different stages
of gender equity in different countries, and perhaps the blind
community can compare ourselves to these countries and see what stage
we are at now, and what are some of the best practices women in those
countries are using to move their societies to the next stage of
acceptance and inclusion, as well as countries where the wrong tactics
were used and hence are still stuck at the same stages for a decade.

>>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nabs-l_nfbnet.org/dotkid.nusbau